Open Nav

Buildings and Contents Insurance

Learn How To Cover Your Building and Its Contents

Building and contents Insurance covers the cost of your assets in the case of damage from events such as floods, fires and vandalism. There are varying levels of cover you can choose from and our guides will help you secure the right insurance for your property and personal valuables.

Posted On: September 29, 2021

Do You Need Contents Insurance If You Rent?

If you’re renting, it can be easy to assume that contents insurance would be covered by your landlord. But this isn’t always the case. Whilst buildings cover is normally provided, the onus to provide contents insurance usually falls with the tenant. This is because belongings are personal to you, whereas the building and fixtures belong to the landlord.

What about furniture that’s provided by the landlord?

In HMOs, it’s typical for furniture to be provided before you move in. This can include kitchen appliances, beds, TV, and wardrobes etc. But as this content doesn’t belong to you, who is technically responsible for it?

If you’re renting property where the furniture is already supplied by the landlord, you will only need to cover the value of your own belongings, not theirs.

It’s important to bear in mind that accidental damage to any of the landlord’s furniture will be deducted from your deposit.

What is the landlord responsible for?

Under Section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, landlords must maintain appliances they have supplied, as well as any integral building structures like the water and heating systems.

  • Building structure
  • Fixtures and fittings
  • Appliances: washing machine, fridge/freezer, tumble dryer, microwave, etc
  • Utility systems – heating, water, electricity, etc

It’s important to familiarise yourself with the legal guidelines for tenants. If a problem arises with any of the above due to accidental damage or personal negligence, then you will be responsible for replacing the item or at least covering the costs for the damage. However, if there is an issue such as a leak from the bath or shower with natural wear and tear being the cause, then you shouldn’t need to fork out any money – your landlord should sort this out for you.

If you need help navigating the complex market of contents insurance, Agentis are on hand to help. Contact our contents insurance specialists today to get the right cover for your rented accommodation. Speak to us today to organise your free initial consultation.