Open Nav

Buildings and Contents Insurance

Learn How To Cover Your Building and Its Contents

Building and contents Insurance covers the cost of your assets in the case of damage from events such as floods, fires and vandalism. There are varying levels of cover you can choose from and our guides will help you secure the right insurance for your property and personal valuables.

Posted On: August 4, 2021

What Does Contents Insurance Cover?

Protecting against damaged or stolen items, contents insurance is designed to give you peace of mind that should the worst happen, the value of the contents within your property will be protected. But what does contents insurance cover? In this article, we’ll guide you through exactly what this type of insurance covers so you’re not left second guessing.

Does contents insurance cover fire?

As a general rule, contents insurance should cover the value of household items damaged by fire. As standard, it should also protect against flooding, storms and theft. It’s important that you check through the policy with a fine tooth comb to make sure all the top eventualities are covered. These could include scenarios that are unique to your property.

You may have to pay extra to cover accidental loss or damage to your possessions.

Does it cover fixtures and fittings?

Contents insurance only covers items that can be easily removed from the property so does not cover fixtures and fittings. To insure fixtures and fittings you will need building insurance.

Can contents insurance cover items stored outside the home?

Some policies will allow you to insure personal items that are damaged or stolen away from your home, such as an engagement ring or a bicycle. This usually costs extra though.

What is the difference between building and contents insurance – do I need both?

Buildings insurance protects the building itself. This includes items fitted to it, such as doors, baths, kitchen units and sinks. On the other hand, contents insurance solely covers the possessions inside your home, including TVs, laptops, furniture, clothes, paintings etc.

You can purchase combined deals which cover both building and contents insurance under one policy. Having both types of insurance ensures the cost of repairing your property and replacing any damaged items inside it will be covered should an incident occur.

Getting the right contents insurance through Agentis

If you require contents insurance or need some help finding the right policy for you, Agentis has a great relationship with a number of insurance companies. This means we can help you get the best deal on a policy that’s a perfect match for the contents of your property. We’ll ensure everything that matters to you is covered. Contact us today to book your free initial consultation.