Open Nav

Buildings and Contents Insurance

Learn How To Cover Your Building and Its Contents

Building and contents Insurance covers the cost of your assets in the case of damage from events such as floods, fires and vandalism. There are varying levels of cover you can choose from and our guides will help you secure the right insurance for your property and personal valuables.

Posted On: January 19, 2022

What Happens To Home Insurance When You Move House?

In the process of moving house? We know there’s a lot to think about, and one consideration is what happens to home insurance when you move? Does it automatically move with you? Do you need to cancel your current cover? We’re answering all your questions in this helpful guide.

When you know you are definitely moving house, the first step is to contact your current insurance provider. Your insurance won’t automatically transfer with your new property, so you need to contact your provider. They will be able to talk you through whether you can transfer your cover and how much it would cost with your new property. From there, it’s up to you to decide whether to transfer, or switch.

Can you transfer home insurance when moving house?

You may be able to transfer your current home insurance policy to your new home. Simply check with your current provider to see if they are happy to move with you. You may incur an admin fee for changing the address details on your policy.

Just remember to contact your insurance provider in good time before you move.

There are a number of factors that affect the price of home insurance. From your postcode to the size of your property, your insurer will need to get a number of details on your new home. If they find that the property is in a higher-risk area for burglary or is near a river that’s at risk of flooding, you may find your premiums go up in price.

However, the opposite could also be true. If you’re looking to downsize in an area that has a low crime or flood risk then you could save money.

Essentially, when it comes to building insurance you need to be able to cover the cost of the entire building, so if the property is bigger the price to replace the building materials will likely be more.

Either way, if you’re not happy with the price of your insurance, you can always look at your other options and switch providers if you find a more suitable arrangement.

Speak to Agentis today

If you’re looking to switch home insurance providers, get in touch with Agentis today. We are a dedicated team of mortgage advisors and insurance brokers who have specialist expertise with helping people find the right insurance cover.